Monday, January 26, 2009

Go Big or Go Home: The Pom Pom of Death Version

Snowball Hat in Malabrigo Apple Green
A color as truly insane as Malabrigo 'Apple Green' demands a lot: a perfect pattern that will take full advantage of its rad chromatic stylings without veering off into complete clownishness, a recipient armed with enough self-confidence to make a bold statement, and of course, one big-ass pom pom. To go any smaller than the pom you see pictured here would have been a disservice.
Snowball Hat in Malabrigo Apple Green
Luckily for me Peeper-lou needed a hat for ski club! I had been wanting to make a variation of this hat ever since seeing the last episode of Sex and the City (the one where Carrie was wandering all alone around Paris *sniff*) in which our heroine sported the cutest joli-laid cabled hat ever. I looked long and hard for a picture to copy, but to no avail. The Fall 07 of Interweave Knits arrived several months later, and I knew that making this hat was my destiny. Seeing Pam's version about a month ago sent me into further paroxysms of delight, and the deal was sealed.
Snowball Hat in Malabrigo Apple Green
The Specs:
Pattern: Snowball Hat by Katie Himmelberg, IK FA 07.
Yarn: Malabrigo worsted in 'Green Apple'. Thanks again for this yarn, Jodi!!
Needles: Size 7
Time: a day or two with time off to contemplate the pom.

You might recall that Jodi sent me two skeins of this yarn, and I hoping that by the end of the week I'll have another Scrunchable to add to my collection...

37 comments:

The WoodLand School said...

This hat is absolutely marvelous!!!

grumperina said...

Oh, she is totally rocking that style and that color. Totally!

Julie said...

She'll definitely be the most stylin gal on the slopes - I LOVE it!

sophanne said...

peeper lou is a sartorialist's dream! Beautiful hat ...though the word hat seems so inadequate

knithound brooklyn said...

With a great color like that, the giant pom pom is smashing!

Kirsten said...

That pom pom is magnificent!
Did you find a pom pom maker that big, or did you just use a piece of cardboard?

Alison said...

Wow! That is so cute, and she is so cute in it! Intensely bright colors are so great on kids, and moms brave enough to wear them.

Happy knitting!

Pikku- Kettu said...

Pom poms all the way! :)

Anonymous said...

Back in college one winter I had a yellow hat with an enormous pom like that. It was actually very flattering and I loved it. The problem now is that a pom that size would hit the ceiling of my car when I drive and that would annoy me. I shall have to live vicariously through yours.

weezalana said...

That is one serious pom-pom. Carrie Bradshaw would be proud!

liset said...

Wauw, wauw, wauw!!! Absolute stunning! Cool colour, great hat!

Happily Knit said...

Oh my goodness-- that's adorable!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Ok- that is the perfect pairing of yarn,pattern & pompom-ness. (Can a pair have three components? whatever. It is wonderful).

nicole said...

Lying on the floor in paroxysms of cabley green apple pompom envy...

Just too gorgeous!!

Sarah said...

That is way too cute! The combination of your daughter and the giant pompom is too much.

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Love it! She'll be the most stylish girl on the slopes.

fallingblue said...

Lovely hat! I just wish I didn't hate working cables. They make me quite crazy. :P

Jodi said...

I love it! That is one awesome pom, and the cables look cozy. The huge pom + wild color are an inspired spin on what's otherwise a pretty traditional cable-knit hat pattern. So cute. Now I want one for me in blue. :-)

YawnOver said...

Holy cow - now that's a pom!

Kim said...

It's a holy trinity of knitting awesomeness: the pattern, the pompom, the yarn/color. So kick ass! You are master of the pompom. Every pompom I ever made looked like something a cat coughed up.

Anonymous said...

Adorable hat, pom-pom, and child! That color really suits her. Does she get to keep it?

Anonymous said...

Oh so cute. Hat and child.

earthchick said...

Holy Crap that is awesome. And she is rocking it hard!!

melissa said...

she looks adorable in it! i love that green. i was just trying to order some malabrigo, but i wasn't sure about this color from those really little photos they show you online. now i am so sure. want!

Anonymous said...

This rocks! She looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

I need that hat now. It is amazing! I think my nerdy book team is going to have pom pom hats as a team uniform. :)

Erin said...

This is THE cutest hat and these pictures are SO cute. LOVE it!

Jennie said...

too freaking cute!

a friend to knit with said...

ski club! i loved ski club!
hidden valley? i know exactly who to look for......and she won't be hard to spot........the cutest hat on the cutest girl on the slopes!!!
tell her to hold on to it.....someone may try to grab that right off her head.....i'm just saying.....

Jessica said...

A more serious pom pom I have never seen! Wowsa!!

I really want to knit the darkside cowl. Still have to find the right yarn.

Lovely TAS hats too. :)

Can you tell I'm behind a bit?!?

Elinor said...

I don't know which is better: the pom or the color! Beautiful!

peaknits said...

I love it - great color and your daughter looks so happy - her eyes are smiling! Nice!

kaetrn said...

this hat is truly fabulous!

Unknown said...

Love both knits. The colors are beautiful! Mmmmm Malabrigo :) Great patterns for both. LOVE the pom!
I have sort of a holding tank for new yarn too, it keeps it right in the open so I can see it and pet it whenever I want. I've found that it helps to get me knitting my new purchases when I can see it.

Anonymous said...

That yarn looks so beautiful with that hat! I love sex and the city, and her hat WAS super cute on her :) I was wondering if you like working with that yarn, I was thinking about getting some myself! ^_^

spajonas said...

god, i just love the HUGEMONGOUS pompom. totally awesome.